The PTOffice support team is more than happy to import your MS Excel or CSV file for you at no charge! Simply email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name and account name and we'll have it all done within 2 business days! If you want to give it try for yourself, here's how to do it...
Importing people is very easy. Most organizations receive their import file from parent organizations, schools or old directory files. PTOffice allows you take any of these forms and import them directly into your account.
Here's how to import contacts for yourself:
- LOGIN to PTOffice
- Choose CONTACTS from the hamburger menu in the upper left-hand corner
- Click the three dots to the right of the ALL CONTACTS menu header item on the left side and choose IMPORT
- At this point, you can download the template by clicking on the DOWNLOAD IMPORT TEMPLATE link in the upper right hand corner, or simply paste your data from an Excel sheet in the area you see on the page. Be sure to follow the RULES listed on the page.
Note: This next step requires that your Excel spreadsheet be formatted in accordance to our import template. If needed, you can download our import template from HERE.
5. Copy all of your data (including column headers) to your clipboard (Ctrl+C)
6. Click within the PTOffice Import Members where it says, "Place your cursor here and paste clipboard" (Ctrl+V)
7. Once pasted, match the column names to the columns you are importing
8. Choose whether or not you would like to default all contact information as SHOW or HIDE within your account by checking or un-checking the corresponding checkbox below.
HIDE: Contact information will not be shown to any contacts outside of being an administrator.
SHOW: Show the contact information only to logged in users who have registered and may be doing an online directory search.
Note: PTOffice limits all areas where contact information may be displayed to registered users of your organization only. ie. If you choose to place the online searchable directory on your website, it will require the user to be a registered member of your organization. Information will never be "open to the public" at any time.
9. Match the grades setup within your organization with the grades found in your imported file
10. Select IMPORT
PTOffice will now import all of the contacts within your spreadsheet. If PTOffice encounters an error, it will alert you and no contacts will be imported. You will need to correct the problem before attempting to import again. See the troubleshooting import errors section below.
Good to know:
- DO NOT import contacts who already exist in your account. This will create duplicates that you will need to remedy afterwards (via our Duplicate Checker tool)
- It is HIGHLY recommended that you download our template from this import page by clicking on the link in the upper right-hand corner of the import page.
- Each line in your spreadsheet must represent an entire family profile. This means that if there are divorced family situations, both households should still reside on one line of your import file.
- Each record must have at least a first and last name in the Adult 1 Household 1 columns.
- If you are looking to only import teachers or faculty and staff, place their information in the Adult 1 Household 1 columns. If they are also parents of a student, you only need to include them once in your import file.
Troubleshooting import errors:
- Be sure there aren’t any carriage returns in any of the lines.
- Be sure there aren’t multiple values in a cell such as phone number or email (one email or phone number per cell).
- Be sure there aren’t leading spaces in any cells.
- Be sure each line has at least one Household 1 - Parent 1 - First Name and Household 1 - Parent 1 - Last Name.